Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Summer Camp, Free styling, or do it yourself home summer school?

I'm choosing to cut back on the cost of summer for my child this year. My current work habits have given me the ability to be with my kid (11 yrs as of June) on a daily basis. So this year he didn't want to go to camp and kept emphasizing the idea of not having to do anything but play the summer away and travel. After a summer where I did let him play it away I think around age 5 or 7 he went to school and did horribly at the start of the year and we spent the year playing catch up. Since then we've integrated a system of practicing and maintaining what he learned in school the year prior into whatever he did for the Summer. So please note my reaction to his desire to play the summer away- No No No (add my cynical and sarcastic head shaking to the no's to get a good visual). The traveling sounded doable till he completed it with dreams of Hawaii.(Current budget- dose not approve, not quit yet) With-in continental US, however, was more do able.

So what did I come up with for the Summer. I made a list with him of both educational and fun activities I wanted him to do and he wanted to learn. Here's the list of what we came up with (Warning some of the items on this list are not typical kid activities and are a bit too high tech for most parents or even kids, choose what you like and invent what works for you. Make sure to keep the list short sweet and simple. After all it is the summer, they should be getting a rest and things come up.) :

  1. Painting (He wants to learn formal Art such as Surrealism and forms of Art- his words not mine)
  2. Museums
  3. Chicago botanical garden
  4. Millennium Park
  5. Learn to type
  6. Make Clay objects on pottery wheel
  7. Sew a Bag
  8. Learn to knit
  9. Library project
  10. Practice writing styles
  11. Book reports
  12. Create a Goal board and a Dream mood board
  13. Make paper mache
  14. Go to the pool
  15. Exercise workout
  16. Bake
  17. Math
  18. Science Projects
  19. Write poems and short stories( My son as smart as he is, is the laziest of writers. This is to encourage his desire to write- He was also motivated after reading two books written and published by a nine year old 'Jake Johnson and the Half Bloods' by James Warburton -Link-Amazon.com: Jake Johnson And The Half Bloods (Quest 1) (Jake Johnson And The Greek Gods) eBook: James Warburton: Kindle Store:)
  20. Garage sale/ bake sale (Funding)
  21. Bamboo pen (Bamboo Create Pen Tablets | Wacom- I'm trying to give him a tech head start like I had learning Turtle(An Apple program) in the first grade.
  22. Movies(via Netflix and The local Movie theater)
  23. Sports
So we then Created a weekly schedule balancing fun activities with learning activities(I know most of the fun stuff double as education- That is what I call sugar coated pills). We are now officially off to a Summer that sure to be rich and exciting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment